This land does not fall in the land mapped for the manor of Moreton in 1790 but seems to have been alienated from the manor at an early date and held as a free tenement. In the 1330s there were several taxable farmers resident here. It is likely the land has continuously been farmed since then.
In 1840 there were three farms: Little Butterton (35 acres), owned by James Osborn senior and occupied by James Osborne junior; Vooght’s Butterdon (18 acres), owned by James Vooght and occupied by Daniel and Humphrey Harvey; and Butterdon (107 acres), owned by Thomas Pethybridge and occupied by Thomas Dayment. [IJFM]