The lordship of the manor of Moreton remained in royal possession until Henry I gave it to his illegitimate son, William de Tracey. It then passed from William to his daughter Grace, and from her to her son, another William, who adopted the name 'de Tracey'. This man was the knight who assisted in the murder of Thomas Becket in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170. After the deed he went into exile and in 1173 divided off the manor of DOCCOMBE from that of Moreton, giving '100 shillings of land in Doccombe' to the monks of Canterbury Cathedral. Doccombe remained in the hands of Canterbury Cathedral throughout the middle ages. It was leased to the Gregory family in the nineteenth century. [IJFM]
DOCCOMBE CHAPEL. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85064) as ‘Non- conformist chapel. Probably originally an C18 barn. Converted in circa. early C19.’ There was a chapel for Doccombe in the medieval period but it is not known where that building was, or if it has any connection with the siting of this building near Knaphole.
DUCKSMOOOR COTTAGE. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85019) as ‘Cottage. Mid C17 with C19/C20 alterations and C20 addition... In a survey of 1589 Ducksmoor was referred to as Minnerd and consisted only of a plot of land; a survey of 1748 refers to it as a separate tenement. In 1718 - Minnerd Plat - with a tenanted cottage. This evidence suggesting a C17 date for the building of the cottage corroborates the architectural evidence.’
GREAT DOCCOMBE. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85062) as ‘Farmhouse. Probably C16 origins but much altered in C20.’
GREGORY ARMS, THE. The inn on the main road, which became a private house in the early part of the 20th century. KNAPHOLE. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85065) as ‘House, formerly farmhouse. Circa early C16, extended in C17... On the 1st floor in the room above that to the right or the passage the base of a truss is visible and is a rudimentary form of jointed cruck with a post simply lapped and pegged to the principal rafter. This is smoke-blackened and has a threaded ridge and purlins. This house has an unusual plan form with a very unspoilt interior containing a large number of original features, more are likely to be concealed.’
LEIGN FARM. Advertised for sale in 2010: ‘The 83-acre holding, with a magnificent late Victorian farmhouse, has gone on the books of Jackson-Stops & Staff in Exeter (01392 214222) with a guide price of £1,600,000. A sixth share ownership of Mardon Down is included, providing 385 acres of open moorland.’
LITTLE DOCCOMBE. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85060) as ‘House, formerly farmhouse. Probably C17, with some C19 alterations... Single storey extension projects from left end. Interior contains all 3 C17 fireplaces. That to lower room has chamfered wooden lintel with run-out stops, brick oven and shallow shelf at back of the fireplace. Hall fireplace has ovolo moulded wooden lintel-and monolithic granite jambs, with wall cupboard beside fireplace. Inner room fireplace is smaller and now blocked by range but retains its ovolo moulded wooden lintel.’
SPRINGWOOD. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85063) as '2 cottages and tearoom, originally a terrace of 4 cottages with an integral barn at one end. Circa early C19.' Alternatively known as Longbuildings.
STACOMBE. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85033) as ‘Farmhouse. Circa mid C16 with C17 alterations and modernised in C19.’ According to a past owner, Mrs Gina Adams, the name Stacombe appears in the earliest manorial court rolls for Doccombe.
THATCHED COTTAGE. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85033) as ‘Cottage, formerly farmhouse. C16 with C17 alterations, wing added in 1970s.’