CHIMES, THE. 18 FORE STREET (THE CHIMES). Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85086) as ‘House, originally the police house before police station opposite was built in circa 1863. Circa 1845, probably soon after the 1845 fire in Fore Street... The left-hand front room was probably the police station leading to a small cell in room behind. The right-hand front room was a living room with a kitchen behind. Above the ground storey cell there is another cell... This is an almost entirely complete mid C19 police house.’
CORN MARKET. Mentioned as being opposite Greenhill House in a deed of 1764. Mentioned in Treleaven’s Diary. Included in the Courtenay Survey (circa 1790) where it was being run by Mrs Spicer. Demolished before 1840.
GREENHILL HOUSE. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85088) as ‘House. Probably early C17 or earlier, extended and rearranged in early C18 (1720 according to R O Heath) and refashioned and extended again in circa Mid C19... Immediately behind Greenhill House the first Baptist meetinghouse in Moretonhampstead was built in 1715 by Samuel Lightfoot the Elder, but was destroyed by fire. Greenhill House has been virtually unaltered since C19 and retains its plan which shows the development quite clearly from its early origins.’ The earliest Deed is dated 1st October 1691 being a lease & release by William Hill (the Elder), gent. to Samuel Lightfoot (the Elder), feltmaker. This Deed refers to an earlier lease dated 3 October 1689. The property is described as 'All that one messuage where Samuel Lightfoot now dwells with all other dwelling houses, barns, stables, shippens, brewhouses, outhouses, courtlages and garden rooms (plots), also two little garden rooms (plots) paled in from the street on the fore side'. According to the lease of 1691, the hall was oak panelled (the present cloakroom and part passage). The parlour was also oak panelled with pine cupboard fronts at the alcove each of the fireplace (the present sitting-room but after major alterations c. 1720). The remains of this oak panelling is now in the front hall, and the two cupboard fronts are in the breakfast room. The outbuilding immediately to the north of Greenhill House is also listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85089) as ‘Original use uncertain but possibly a pair of cottages, reused as stables and coach-house. Probably C18, remodelled in circa mid to late C19 as stables and coach house.’
(For more information on Greenhill House, click here)
ST ANDREW’S CHURCH. Listed Grade I by English Heritage (ID no. 85087) as ‘Parish church, early C15 tower and late C15 nave and aisles with heavy restorations in 1856 and 1905.’ Click here for more information.