Some Dates in the history of our Railway

 

1861

Moretonhampstead & South Devon Railway Company created. 

Chairman the Earl of Devon

1862

Act of Parliament passed for construction of 12½ miles of Broad Gauge line from Moreton to Newton Abbot at a cost of £88,500

1863

Construction begins, the first sod cut at Bovey

1866

Grand Opening of Moreton Station on 26th June.  Great rejoicing in the town

1867

Teigngrace Station opened

1872

The Moretonhampstead and South Devon Railway absorbed by the South Devon Railway

1874

Chudleigh Road Station opened (renamed Heathfield in 1882)

1876

Great Western Railway acquires the line

187?

Twice daily horse-drawn buses connect with  Chagford

1890

Clay sidings built at Teign Bridge

1892

Conversion of line to standard gauge

1906

Motor Bus service to Chagford

1929

Lord Hambleden's Manor House purchased and converted by G.W.R. to the Manor House Hotel

1931

Hawkmoor Halt opened

1934

Lustleigh opens a 'Camping Coach'

1937

 Visit of  George VI in the Royal Train

1948

The Railway is nationalised

1959

Passenger Service withdrawn

1964

Moreton-Bovey Freight Service withdrawn

 

 

^ TOP ^