1926 fire at Neck's stores in the Square
Fire was a regular risk in any crowded town with thatched roofs and bakers' ovens, but in addition Moreton suffered from a rather limited water supply, with the Wray Brook as the only source apart from individual wells. Fire certainly did much to shape the town, most notably in the case of the fire of 1845 that devastated a large area between Cross Street, Fore Street and Greenhill. As a result of the destruction of houses in the path of the fire, the New Cut between Greenhill and Cross Street was created.
For a summary of nineteenth and twentieth century fires, click here