Railway - Moreton to Newton Abbot

The Moretonhampstead and South Devon Railway opened on 4 July 1866, taking passengers and freight between Moreton and Newton Abbot. It was amalgamated with the South Devon Railway Company in 1872, and later became part of the G.W.R. After almost one hundred years, the last regular passenger train left in 1959, and the last freight traffic in 1964.

                                            Early photo of the station with broad gauge rails                                           

A Stone commemorating the opening was erected in Moreton station in 1924; it is now in the National Railway Museum in York (see  picture - undergoing a face-lift at the time).  It is rare for a memorial to be erected to the memory of a railway company and its directors.