The place is mentioned on the Subsidy Roll for 1332. Listed by English Heritage (ID no. 85004) as ‘Farmhouse. C16 with C17 alterations. Completely modernised within last 2 years…’ and indexed incorrectly as ‘Manaton’. Included in the Courtenay Survey (circa 1790) where it appears in two portions. Part extended to more than 68 acres and was farmed by Mr Thomas Pethybridge; another part extended to more than 59 acres and was farmed by Nicholas Lightfoot. [IJFM]