The inquisition post mortem of Richard fitz John, ‘made at Moreton on… 26 Sept 1297’ includes a reference to a ‘fulling mill, 8s, and three water mills £3’. The Courtenay Survey (circa 1790) mentions grist mills at the bottom of LIME STREET (‘adjacent to the Glebe’) and at FINGLE, and fulling mills at CLIFFORD and EAST FINGLE. There was also a mill in the manor of DOCCOMBE (Doccombe Mill) and at least one mill in the manor of HAYNE. With respect to the last there is a restored watermill at STEWARD MILL today which also appears on the tithe map of 1840. [IJFM]