Farmstead which, on etymological evidence, probably means ‘Leofwine’s Cott’ (Leofwine being a Saxon name) and so should be associated with occupation at least as early as the twelfth century. In addition its position on this old road from Howton to Yalworthy suggests a very early date. It is mentioned on the 1332 Subsidy Roll. Included in the Courtenay Survey (circa 1790) in three parts, all previously in separate tenancy but then united by Mr William Frost, who occupies two houses and nearly 100 acres. [IJFM]