The original rectory site. When Rev’d. Dewey was appointed in 1901, the old building was found to be very dilapidated, and W.F.D. Smith, as patron of the living, built a new Rectory nearby. This remained the rectory until the time of the Rev. Leadbitter in 1930, when it became a private house and what is now ‘The Old Rectory’ in Cross Street was used instead. A painting of the original house, which was known to be at least 16th century in date, is in the vestry of the parish church. Stephen Landor drew attention to a seventeenth-century glebe terrier which records ‘3 ground floor rooms with 6 chambers above’ for the rectory, which almost certainly relates to this now-vanished building. [IJFM]