ELMFIELD. Built circa 1890 as a house and estate office for the the earl of Devon’s agent.
LIVESTOCK MARKET. This was originally ‘Lord’s Meadow’. It appears in the Courtenay Survey (circa 1790) where Mrs Judith Davy is said to occupy just under two acres. She also occupied the adjoining barn and orchard; this barn was no Pound Street and became the old Boys School. The Lord’s Meadow was developed as the site for the Livestock Market in the nineteenth century, when Station Road was built, to be convenient for the railway. The market closed in 1939. Later it became a carpark. [IJFM]
STATION. The last stop on the Moretonhampstead and South Devon Railway. It was incorporated in 1863, engineered by P. J. Margary, the SDR Resident Engineer, and was completed by Thomas Brassey in 1866. It opened on 4 July 1866, taking passengers and freight between Moreton and Newton Abbot. It was amalgamated with the South Devon Railway Company in 1872, and later became part of the G.W.R. There was a strong tourist industry at Chagford and the railway ran horse and later motor omnibuses from Moretonhampstead to enable people to sample the pleasures of Dartmoor. Several attempts were made to extend the railway from Moretonhampstead to Chagford, but nothing came of any of these schemes. The line was converted from 7′ 01⁄4″ to 4′ 81⁄2″ gauge in May 1892. After almost one hundred years, the last regular passenger train left in 1959, and the last freight traffic in 1964. Some parts of the station are still visible, namely the old engine shed, the main building, the platform and on the gateposts on the approach road. The site has been used by Thompsons Haulage for many years. [IJFM]